Chaos logs


"Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse."
The Murphy Philosophy

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something."

"Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse."
Murphy's Laws

Friday, August 12, 2005

From rags to riches
Incredibly enough, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it seems to be not the approaching train!
Trying to get my bank account back to small digits with a PLUS sign in front of it (any amount of small digits) has accompanied for so long by now that I'm almost feeling kind of sad to say that I've actually done it. It's true though, I'm back out of the red numbers and gone are the days of constant fear of ATMs that want to bite my arm off for walking too close past them (or swallow me whole). Guess I can really start thinking about actually saving some money now, as until now, it never was really "saved up" but rather "not spent"...
Also, I've started working a second night a week at the pub and my boss offered me a third night already. Seems I'm doing a job there.

My plans regarding the move to Leiden/.nl are coming to a rather less nice end though.
I got a letter from the Admission Office in which they informed me that I was accepted for the Bachelor's Bridging Programme, a preparatory year, but not yet for the Uni. Unfortunately, I don't receive any students' aid for that year and after calculating for a short bit I faced some really nasty numbers that made me think of biting ATMs a damn lot. 8500 Euro for the rent/living expenses in that year is more than I have to pay off from students' aid for the whole 4 years of Uni that are forseeable, and I really don't want to come out of Uni with a 15k Euro debt on my shoulders (8.5k for prep year, plus the students' aid part).
So the odds of me staying here and somehow face the dreadful monster they call a Bachelor's degree in this country are pretty good.

Ah well. Time for a late-night snack and some sleepies for me now. More news as it comes along.

Ta-taa.