Chaos logs


"Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse."
The Murphy Philosophy

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something."

"Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse."
Murphy's Laws

Friday, June 25, 2004

Back injuries OR: What 3 days army service can do to you
As the frequent readers will know, I've spent quite a large amount of the past 5 months with physical therapy after I suffered from a slipped disc in late January.
Things had been going rather well in the last month or so, which was reason enough for me to not ask the docs to let me stay home for yet another week before I leave army next Wednesday. That was my first mistake.
My second mistake was following orders given by superiours who most obviously have no fucking clue about back injuries like that. After being ordered to clean weapons on Tuesday (the whole day, that is!), which not only meant working in a slightly-bent-over position for about 4-5 hours total but also meant carrying machine guns that weigh around 12 kilogram, I was up and on my feet the entire Wednesday, starting at 0645 with standing guard at the local army sports festival and later having to attend a parade. While the parade was still going on, my legs and feet went numb and finally, my back "collapsed" with kinda evil muscle spasms in my lower back muscle, which resulted in me being sent to hospital.
My dysfunctional-spine-parts-record now lists another disc, in addition to the one that slipped out of its designed position in January and my degenerated-since-birth lower end of the spine (thanks Dad for that part of the legacy)...
I was allowed to leave only about 2 hours ago, my back's pain-free at the moment and I'm seriously hoping that the electro-shock therapy I received in hospital lets me stay pain-free for the coming days.

I'll have to start all over again with physical therapy, which really sucks, I was just being allowed to go climbing again beginning of last week. Shit happens I guess, and Murphy is never too far away.