Chaos logs


"Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse."
The Murphy Philosophy

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something."

"Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse."
Murphy's Laws

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Game over
Goodbye Bonn university, goodbye Asian Studies.
Last Friday had me receiving note of failing the exam on History of Asia for the third time; don't ask me how I did that as don't have the slightest clue and still didn't get a hold of the professor who has the exam stored for sighting.
Failing this exam for the third time means that I have to leave and bury this part of university forever, as far as Germany is concerned. Sucks to be me.

Alas, we live in the age of internet and international connections, so I've been able to dig up a few options, all of which are starting in September/October 2006:
  • School of Oriental and Asian Studies (SOAS), London, offers a BA in Southeast Asian Studies, including the possibility to learn Thai, Khmer (Cambodian), Vietnamese, Indonesian and other, less known languages of the southeast asian region

  • University of Leiden is still an option too, with both a BA in History and Cultures of China or (...) of Southeast Asia and Oceania

  • Frankfurt University offers Southeast Asian Studies as well, but the overall program description makes this a last-choice

With all of those options only being available from September 2006 onwards, I have almost a full year on my hands to work, earn money and do what I like. Time for an additional job to the work in the pub, time to try getting my Dutch to a sufficient level, time to think about refreshing and polishing my French vocabulary, hopefully time to get through with a trip to Southeast Asia in Feb-Apr next year...

I'll post again once I have some more concrete ideas and some real options surface and get more structure.

Until then...

...ta-taa.